Plant Operations


Comply with the current codes of practice for plant operations with the industry’s preferred carding scheme – our testers cover over 50 different CPCS categories.

CPCS Construction Plant Competence Scheme

The CPCS scheme is recognised by the Build UK Contractors (formally UKCG) and Major Home Builders Group (MHBG), among others, as the preferred carding scheme to comply with codes of practice for competence and certification.

Who’s it for?

This scheme provides a registration card scheme acknowledged by industry for those involved in plant operations by recognising skills, knowledge and understanding, competence and qualifications. It is based on a mix of occupational competence, experience on site and health and safety awareness - three essential qualities for operating plant machinery safely and effectively.

The process

A CPCS test consists of a one-to-one theoretical assessment, followed by a practical examination. The theory element is tape recorded by one of our testers and the CPCS practical test could also be video recorded, if required.

The cards available within the CPCS Scheme are:


CPCS Red ‘Trained Operator’ Card


CPCS Blue ‘Competent Operator’ Card

CPCS Categories we cover

A02 Crawler Crane

A04 Tower Crane

A06 Tuck Mounted Concrete Pump

A09 Forward Tipping Dumper

A10 Excavator 180 – Wheeled (Below 5 Tonnes)

A12 Excavator 180 (Wheeled) – Above 5 Tonnes

A14 Rough Terrain Masted Forklift

A15 Side Loader Forklift

A16 Industrial Counterbalance

A17 Telescopic Handler

A18 Reach Truck

A19 Grader

A20 Hoist

A21 Wheeled Loading Shovel

A22 Tracked Loading Shovel

A23 Skid Steer Loader

A24 Motorised Scraper

A25 Mobile Elevating Work Platform (MEWP) – Scissor Lift

Mobile Elevating Work Platform (MEWP) – Boom Lift/Cherry Picker

A31 Ride on Roller

A36 Lorry Loader (Hi-Ab)

A40 Slinger Signaller

A42 Crusher

A43 Screener

A44 Trailer Mounted Concrete Pump

A45 Piling Rig – Driven (Below 15 Tonnes)

A46 Piling Rig – Driven (Above 15 Tonnes)

A47 Piling Rig – Bored (Below 15 Tonnes)

A48 Piling Rig – Bored (Above 15 Tonnes)

A49 Loader Securer – Non STGO

A50 Loader Securer – STGO

A56 Dump Truck – Articulated Chassis

A57 Dump Truck – Rigid Chassis

A58 Excavator 360 Degree (Tracked – Below 10 Tonnes)

A59 Excavator 360 Degree (Tracked – Above & Below 10 Tonnes)

A60 Mobile Crane

A61 Appointed Persons – Lifting Operations / Lift Planner

A62 Crane / Lift Supervisor

A63 Ped-Op (Pedestrian Operated) Tower Crane

A64 Overhead Travelling Crane / Gantry Crane

A66 Compact Crane

A68 Plant Driving

A71 Soil Stabiliser

A72 Static Concrete Placing Boom

A73 Plant & Vehicle Marshaller (Vehicle Banksman)

A74 Piling Rig Attendant

A95 Slinger Signaller

A97 Lifting Operations (Excavator 360 – Below 10 Tonnes)

A98 Lifting Operations (Excavator 360 – Above 10 Tonnes)

CITB Levy Registered?

If you are registered with the CITB ‘Construction Industry Training Board’ TUTS can help you claim between £250.00 and £517.00 per person in grant for CPCS testing alone, eliminating most (if not all) of your cost! We can even help you in claiming additional grants for any training days required

For further information on how we can assist you in eliminating the cost of upskilling your workforce please speak to one of our advisors today.

Upgrade a CPCS Red Trained Operator card to a CPCS Blue Competent Operator Card

Candidates needing to upgrade have to undertake an NVQ specific to the item(s) of plant they hold. For more information on the qualifications required, and delivery methods, please click here.


Can I renew my Red Card?

Under scheme rules, the CPCS Red card is non-renewable. CPCS will allow an extension upon registration of the NVQ Level 2. Subject to scheme rules.

Blue/Red Card Grace Period/renewal

CPCS Red Card should be progressed to CPCS Blue card within 2 years of qualification, via the OSAT NVQ route.

The CPCS Blue Card is valid for 5 years and can be renewed in accordance with scheme rules.


Which CSCS test do I need?

CPCS Plant operators categories, require you to have passed the CSCS HSE test within 2 years.

CPCS category A62 Crane supervisor requires a CSCS SPVR test passed within 2 years

CPCS category A61 Appointed Person, requires a CSCS MAP test passed within 2 years

How do I claim a grant?

If your organisation are CITB Levy contributors then TUTS Group will hold your hand through the grant claim process. Be sure to speak to our training team prior to booking.

If you are unsure, please contact us today.

Can CPCS be delivered at my site / off centre categories?

Click here to list On & Off centre categories.

Is CPCS the right option for me?

CPCS is the most recognised accreditation for plant operations within the construction industry. Other accreditations which are also recognised within the industry are available from TUTS Group:





If you operate plant outside of the construction industry, then speak to our training team to confirm the correct accreditation for you.

Do I need a DVLA Driving Licence?

You only need a DVLA Driving licence to operate vehicles on the public highway.

How quickly will I receive my card?

Your card is automatically applied for as part of our ‘results processing’ procedure. Most cards are received within 1 – 2 weeks (depending on any delays with the Awarding Organisation).

I will need evidence of passing my test immediately for a new site I am working at. What can I do?

We will issue you with a pass letter (upon achieving the standard) which will be accepted on site until your card is received.


If I am a Supervisor, can I carry out the work of an operative?

No, the supervisor units and the operative units are different and specific to operative and supervisory duties.

Can I take the course in less than 5 days?

Although some providers may offer a reduced duration course. TUTS Group guarantee the highest quality of training and candidate support, therefore our NRSW course is the full 5-days.

I believe there’s been a change to the scheme (April 2020) – does this affect me?

Yes, if you have no knowledge or prior experience within the role, or are not familiar with the new specification, then we would strongly recommend that you attend the longer duration course.

Can you deliver the training on my site?

NRSW must be delivered at an approved training location, which has been certified by the awarding body. It is possible to organise this for your site but may take a long time to arrange and be cost-inefficient.

Do I need a valid CSCS card?

No you do not need a CSCS card to qualify NRSW units.

What units do you deliver?

Units 1-6 & 9 for Operatives and Units 1, 10-14 & 16 for Supervisors as standard. Units 7 & 15 are also available upon request.

Does NRSW qualify me to work on the Motorway?

No, NRSW is a qualification for working on public highways up to A-Road classification, dual carriageway with a cap at 60mph.

What is the renewal period/Grace period?

5 years from the point of expiry. Your card will expire after 5 years, you will then be able to renew your card (by attending the reassessment course) within 5 years.

Do I need to have experience?

In order to attend our 5-day course you should have at least 6 months of experience working on or around the public highway.

How long does it take for me to receive my card after the course?

We internally verify all paperwork within 72hrs of course completion and request your certificates & cards at this time. Most certificates and cards are received within 4-6 weeks (depending on any delays with the awarding body).

Book a Course


Our team of friendly advisors are ready and waiting to help find the right course for you.

Book a Course


Our team of friendly advisors are ready and waiting to help find the right course for you.