Plant Operator Training


Get accredited with one of the UK’s most recognised carding schemes — NPORS or CPCS — and easily upgrade or renew your cards with our NVQ assessments.

Plant Operations

Plant Operations

The TUTS approach

When it comes to our construction plant training, TUTS is a specialist provider of the two most recognised carding schemes in the industry - NPORS ‘National Plant Operators Registration Scheme’ & CPCS ‘Construction Plant Competence Scheme’.

We’re also able to offer NVQ Assessments for our full plant offering, allowing candidates to upgrade/renew their cards as required.

CPCS vs NPORS - consider your options

Recognised by the HSE as evidence of “competence”

Allows access to all major contractor sites in the UK

Achievement grant available

All categories delivered on site

CITB HS&E test required

Relevant NVQ in plant operations required


Can I renew my Red Card?

Under scheme rules, the CPCS Red card is non-renewable. CPCS will allow an extension upon registration of the NVQ Level 2. Subject to scheme rules.

Blue/Red Card Grace Period/renewal

CPCS Red Card should be progressed to CPCS Blue card within 2 years of qualification, via the OSAT NVQ route.

The CPCS Blue Card is valid for 5 years and can be renewed in accordance with scheme rules.


Which CSCS test do I need?

CPCS Plant operators categories, require you to have passed the CSCS HSE test within 2 years.

CPCS category A62 Crane supervisor requires a CSCS SPVR test passed within 2 years

CPCS category A61 Appointed Person, requires a CSCS MAP test passed within 2 years

How do I claim a grant?

If your organisation are CITB Levy contributors then TUTS Group will hold your hand through the grant claim process. Be sure to speak to our training team prior to booking.

If you are unsure, please contact us today.

Can CPCS be delivered at my site / off centre categories?

Click here to list On & Off centre categories.

Is CPCS the right option for me?

CPCS is the most recognised accreditation for plant operations within the construction industry. Other accreditations which are also recognised within the industry are available from TUTS Group:





If you operate plant outside of the construction industry, then speak to our training team to confirm the correct accreditation for you.

Do I need a DVLA Driving Licence?

You only need a DVLA Driving licence to operate vehicles on the public highway.

How quickly will I receive my card?

Your card is automatically applied for as part of our ‘results processing’ procedure. Most cards are received within 1 – 2 weeks (depending on any delays with the Awarding Organisation).

I will need evidence of passing my test immediately for a new site I am working at. What can I do?

We will issue you with a pass letter (upon achieving the standard) which will be accepted on site until your card is received.


What is NPORS?

NPORS is the National Plant Operators Registration Scheme. NPORS is the most widely recognised nationally accredited certification scheme for plant operators. NPORS is accepted on the majority of construction sites, as well as logistics, manufacturing, events, installations etc.

Is NPORS accepted on construction sites?

Yes, the majority of sites now accept NPORS. Please check with the PC on your site.

Can NPORS be done on my site or a test centre?

NPORS can be delivered at any site, subject to site requirements. TUTS Group deliver some NPORS categories at our flagship test centre in Northamptonshire.

Do you train on Saturdays?

TUTS GROUP is here to help. We are available to train & test on most Saturdays. Please note that some categories of training & testing have a small surcharge for delivery at weekends and out of normal trading hours.


What qualifies an Experienced Worker on NPORS?

Either holding an expired card for the specific category. A certification under another awarding body e.g. ITSSAR/IPAF etc. 2 years of demonstrable experience as a minimum, operating the specific plant.


Will I get a CSCS CARD with NPORS?

Yes, you must ensure that you take, or have taken the NOCN Health Safety and Environment Test within the last 2 Years.


Can I get a restricted card e.g. half pass?

Yes, if you only use your nominated Plant category for a specific task you can receive an NPORS card specific to that duty.


How long does a NPORS card last?

The NPORS HSE Test card is valid for 2 Years.

The NPORS Card with the NOCN CSCS embossed logo is valid for 2 years.


Book a Course


Our team of friendly advisors are ready and waiting to help find the right course for you.

Book a Course


Our team of friendly advisors are ready and waiting to help find the right course for you.